While protecting the privacy and confidentiality of its patients and patient information, Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Inc. (TJUH) also strives to assist the news media’s efforts to report legitimate news. The Public Relations Department adheres to the guidelines set forth under the privacy regulations of the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) when releasing patient conditions.
During Business Hours
(Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Please call our office at 215-955-6300 to request a patient condition. Please provide the patient's first and last name. In most cases we will be able to provide a one-word condition that is described as follows:
- Undetermined: Patient is awaiting physician and/or assessment.
- Good: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
- Fair: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious: Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- Critical: Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
- Treated and Released: Received treatment but not admitted.
- Treated and Transferred: Received treatment, transferred to a different facility.
Please note that the term "stable" should not be used as a condition. Furthermore, this term should not be used in combination with other conditions, which by definition, often indicate a patient is unstable.
After Business Hours
(Monday through Friday, 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. and weekends)
Please call the page operator at 215-955-6060 and ask to have the on-call Public Relations person paged.
Filming and Photography Guidelines
The Public Relations Department must be notified prior to any recording, filming or photographing on Jefferson campuses. In addition, all members of the media must be accompanied by a Public Relations representative while on a campus assignment. Please call 215-955-6300 to schedule an interview.