Ways to Give to Jefferson
For more than 184 years, Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals have provided patients with superb clinical care in a compassionate and safe setting. We are dedicated to improving the health of the communities we serve as well as others who step through our doors.
Throughout our history, we have been fortunate to receive the support of our patients and neighbors. Their generosity helps move us forward and is a key factor in our ability to achieve our goals.
There are countless opportunities available to support Jefferson. Please help us as we continue to shape the future of clinical care, medical education and research.
The Jefferson Foundation
The Jefferson Foundation was established in 2005 to ensure and expand the philanthropic funding and financial health of Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals and Thomas Jefferson University.
Your contribution will advance Jefferson's mission of patient care, education and discovery by:
- Improving the quality of patient care
- Providing unrestricted funds to meet the most urgent needs
- Supporting research and scientific discovery
- Strengthening faculty to maintain academic excellence
- Growing the capabilities and impact of academic departments
- Providing scholarship assistance for students
- Initiating new educational programs
- Enlarging the pool of endowed funds to secure Jefferson's future
Blood Donor Center
The Blood Donor Center at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals collects blood from:
- Autologous (a patient donates their own blood in advance of their potential need for it)
- Directed Donors (someone donates their blood specifically on a patient's behalf)
The Center uses the most stringent procedures to assure the safety of its donors and of the blood that it supplies to Jefferson's Blood Bank. All products collected are tested according to FDA recommendations to ensure their safety.
The Blood Donor Center is located at:
Gibbon Building, Suite 8230
111 S. 11th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday
What You Should Know
- Donating is convenient, safe and quick. All needles are disposable, sterile and used only once.
- You must be at least 17 years old, weigh more than 110 pounds and be in good health to donate.
- A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days.
- All Jefferson employees are entitled to 3 hours off when they donate blood.
The Facts About Giving Blood
- The demand for blood is often greater than the supply in midwinter and midsummer, which often results in citywide shortages.
- To date, there is no accepted substitute for blood; people are the only source.
- All blood types are needed every day.
- Although 60 percent of people are eligible to give blood, only less than 5 percent give blood regularly.
- Every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion.
- The next person to need blood may be you or a family member.
- The increase in organ transplants performed at Jefferson requires more blood than routine surgical procedures.
- Approximately 60,000 units of blood and blood products were used by patients last year at Jefferson alone.
- Each blood donation is separated into three products: red blood cells, platelets and plasma. Your donation will benefit three patients.
- Only one in 25 people donate blood; thanks for being one!
Tackling Breast Cancer
Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals are proud to partner with the Philadelphia Eagles in the Tackling Breast Cancer campaign to benefit the Jefferson Breast Care Center.
With your generous donation to the Jefferson Breast Cancer Center, you're helping to provide leading-edge technology, the newest treatments and comfortable surroundings for both men and women.
Whether looking for a digital mammogram, a second breast surgical opinion, advances in radiation and chemotherapy or genetic testing, the Jefferson Breast Care Center is designed to make services convenient and accessible for everyone.
Jefferson is one of only thirty centers in the nation accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
You can support the Tackling Breast Cancer campaign by purchasing your Eagles pink hat and pink ribbon shirt at the following locations:
- Jefferson Medical and Health Science Bookstore at 1009 Chestnut Street
- The lobby gift shop of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital's Gibbon Building at 111 South 11th Street
- The Eagles Pro Shop at Lincoln Financial Field
- Online at www.philadelphiaeagles.com
Proceeds from the Eagles pink hat and pink ribbon shirt sale benefit the Jefferson Breast Care Center.