Digestive Diseases Care at Jefferson
Rated among the best in the nation for Gastroenterology by U.S.News & World Report. Learn more
One of the busiest endoscopy units on the east coast, performing more than 13,000 procedures a year including 3000 capsule endoscopies. Learn more
First in Philadelphia to offer endoluminal fundoplication (ELF),
incisionless, surgical treatment for GERD. Learn more
Home to the longest continuously active liver transplantation program in the Philadelphia area. Learn more
If you have a digestive disorder, consider the highly skilled specialists at Jefferson. Our renowned physicians have both the expertise and technology to accurately diagnose your condition and provide you with the latest treatments.
Jefferson is one of the leading hospitals in the U.S. for the diagnosis, treatment, research and education of diseases of the digestive tract and liver. Rated among the best hospitals in the nation for Gastroenterology by U.S.News & World Report, Jefferson is home to renowned specialists with expertise in gastrointestinal endoscopy, gastrointestinal motility, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreaticobiliary diseases, celiac disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and liver transplantation.
- Jefferson physicians were among the first in the Philadelphia region, and among a select group nationally, to use capsule endoscopy to diagnose esophageal diseases. This procedure entails swallowing a capsule no bigger than a vitamin that contains a camera to capture images of even the most difficult-to-reach areas of your digestive tract.
- Jefferson opened Philadelphia's first adult Celiac Center to improve the diagnosis and management of this disease through a multidisciplinary approach.
- Jefferson was the first hospital in Philadelphia to offer robotic esophageal
resection surgery employing the next generation of surgical robots to treat esophageal cancer.
- Our physicians pioneered radiofrequency ablation (RFA) as a treatment of Barrett's esophagus, which can completely reverse the damage to esophagus tissue in 80 to 90 percent of cases. Our gastroenterologists have performed more than 500 of these procedures, making Jefferson the regional leader in RFA.
- We conducted our first living donor liver transplant and have performed more than 700 liver transplantations.
- Jefferson was the first hospital in Philadelphia to offer endoluminal fundoplication (ELF), an advanced surgical treatment for long-term elimination of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) that requires no incisions. ELF can potentially eliminate the need for some patients to take medication to control GERD.
- More than two dozen scientists at Jefferson are continually involved in a wide variety of clinical trials to advance the prevention, detection and treatment of digestive diseases.
- Jefferson is rated a Top Hospital for Gastroenterology by Philadelphia magazine.