The Mindfulness Institute is the longest standing program of the Jefferson-Myrna Brind Center of Integrative Medicine. The Institute is the Philadelphia region's leading provider of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programs.
Mindfulness is about paying attention. It's about living your life in the richness of right now, not being lost in memories of the past or overwhelmed by the worries or projections of the future. It's a simple practice that strengthens the mind's ability to stay focused on what is happening right now and to be open to experience — meeting the present moment with kindness and nonreactivity. Learn more about mindfulness and MBSR.
Our MBSR programs are modeled after the MBSR program that was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. Our programs have helped thousands of people transform their lives, even in the midst of physical and psychological suffering. All of our instructors have been trained under the direction of Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki Santorelli of the UMass program.
Since 1996, our Mindfulness Institute is dedicated to studying and publishing on the positive effects of MBSR; in fact, early studies from Jefferson are among the most cited papers in the discipline. Our clinical, academic and research achievements have led to our "Institute" status, and our director is one of a handful of people in the nation to achieve certification as an MBSR teacher through the UMass Center for Mindfulness.
We offer MBSR programs throughout the year for the public, training programs for mindfulness professionals and mindful practices for the workplace.
Public Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programs
These are the types of public programs we offer:
- An Introduction to Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction: This workshop provides a taste of the fundamentals of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction. Register for this course. Register for this course.
- MBSR Foundation Course: This eight-week course is designed to help you meet the ordinary and extraordinary challenges of life with balance and peace of mind. Register for this course.
- Monthly Drop-In Sessions for Mindfulness Graduates: These informal programs offer graduates of our eight-week Program the opportunity to gather with other past participants, meditate together and discuss various topics applicable to mindfulness in daily living.
- Monthly Guided Practice Sessions via Teleconference: These one-hour "drop-in" guided telephone sessions are open to all graduates of the eight-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course.
- A Full Day of Mindfulness: Past program graduates are invited to join with participants of the current eight-week Program in a full day of mindfulness.
Professional Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programs
These are the types of programs we offer for professional training:
- Mindfulness Tools for Health Care Professionals: A five-session program to reduce clinician stress, enhance compassion and improve clinician-patient communication.
- Practicum in MBSR for Professionals: This Practicum is for professionals who intend to teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction or who want to integrate mindfulness into their professional practice. Register for this course.
- The Art of Mindfulness-Based Inquiry: A workshop for mindfulness teachers and mindfulness-based psychotherapists.
Contact the Mindfulness Institute
Diane Reibel, PhD, Director of the Mindfulness Institute
1015 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107