Jefferson has a history of innovation in transplant surgery. We pioneered successful kidney and liver transplantation in the Philadelphia region. Jefferson's Liver Transplant Program is the Delaware Valley's longest-running program and celebrates more than 25 years of excellence.
Today, Jefferson remains one of the area's leading institutions for transplant procedures and care.
Highly experienced physicians, nurses, counselors and surgeons within the Division of Transplant Surgery work with patients and their families to determine if they are candidates for transplantation, and follow them through post-op care to ensure the transplanted organ is functioning properly. As a leading academic institution, our focus goes beyond patient care and includes active research protocols to advance the clinical experience.
Why Choose Jefferson for Transplantation in Philadelphia?
- Transplants the sickest patients in the region
- Has the lowest mortality rate among patients on the recipient waiting list
- Consistently surpasses national averages for liver, kidney and pancreas transplantation survival rates
- Offers live donor liver transplantation (LDLT)
- Offers pediatric liver transplantation via our partnership with Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children Transplant program
- Offers paired kidney exchange and desensitization for our highly sensitized patients
- Successfully performs combined liver-kidney as well as heart-kidney transplantation
Transplant Research and Education
Visit the Division of Transplant Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University for more on research and education.