Colorectal surgeons and gastroenterologists at Jefferson perform a high volume of colonoscopies annually. We use the most advanced technologies for colonoscopy, which can improve detection of polyps and reduce inconvenience for patients who need colon cancer screening.
The Third Eye® Retroscope® helps our physicians overcome "blind spots" to get a complete view of the colon to identify polyps previously hidden on the backside of folds in the colon. It is estimated that this technology will help physicians improve polyp detection by 10 percent.
Other Types of Colonoscopies
We may also offer you the following options:
- Virtual colonoscopy, which uses computed tomography (CT) technology to provide a 3-D image of your colon, without the need for the insertion of a probe, as with standard colonoscopy exams
- Open-access colonoscopy, which is screening for low-risk patients
- Double-balloon colonoscopy, for patients with altered anatomy who have failed complete colonoscopy elsewhere
Same-Day Colon Prep
Researchers at Jefferson conducted a study of 116 colonoscopy patients given either a split dosage of colon preparation the night before and morning of their colonoscopy or the preparation solely the morning of their procedure. The study found that both treatments are equally as effective.
At Jefferson, our patients have access to both split-dosage prep and now the same-day prep for colonoscopies.
Same-day colon prep is not for patients with certain medical conditions, such as diabetics. Talk to your doctor to see if you're a candidate.
Get a Screening Mammogram and a Colon Cancer Pre-Screening in One Appointment
Family obligations, work demands and other responsibilities make it difficult for busy women to schedule these essential screenings. That's why the Jefferson Breast Care Center now offers a 2-in-1 cancer screening program.
Two appointments in one — Have a screening mammography and a colon cancer pre-screening meeting at the same
appointment, ending with the scheduling of your colonoscopy. Your colon cancer pre-screening will be conducted by Jefferson
gastroenterologist Marianne T. Ritchie, MD.
- One convenient location — All done at the Jefferson Breast Care Center, Medical Office Building, 1100 Walnut Street,
3rd Floor, in Center City Philadelphia.
- Convenient hours — Tuesday and Thursday evenings, from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Come after work or your children's activities.
Schedule your appointment today! Call 1-800-JEFF-NOW (1-800-533-3669).