The region's leader in minimally invasive lung cancer treatment.
Eighty-five percent of thoracic procedures performed by surgeons at Jefferson use video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS), nearly four times the national average. VATS lobectomy is a state-of-the-art procedure where specially designed surgical instruments are placed into the chest cavity through small openings to remove the affected area. One of these instruments, a thoracoscope, has a tiny camera that sends pictures to a monitor to provide your surgeons with the clearest possible view of the internal organs.
With more than 200 successful VATS lobectomies performed to date, Jefferson surgeons offer the expertise that is crucial to performing this complex procedure. Patients experience less postoperative pain and a shorter hospital stay, while doing as well as patients who undergo the traditional more extensive operation.
The entire procedure takes only 2 hours.
Throughout your care, we also provide:
- A multidisciplinary team that brings together Jefferson thoracic surgeons, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, pulmonary specialists and other healthcare professionals.
- A support network of specially trained nurses, educators, fellow patients and cancer survivors.
- Nutrition counseling that can help minimize some of the side effects of cancer treatment that may interfere with eating.
- Complementary therapies including smoking cessation, stress reduction, massage therapy and acupuncture.
- Financial assistance to patients residing in local service areas.
Among The Nation's Best
A Top Hospital In 11 Specialties
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital has been rated as among the best in the nation in 11 specialties in U.S. News & World Report's 2012-13 Best Hospitals rankings including:
- Diabetes & Endocrinology
- Ear, Nose & Throat
Convenient Office Locations
- Philadelphia - 1100 Walnut Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia - 1300 Wolf Street, 1st Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19148